Now that we are all stuffed with turkey, ham and all the trimmings and we have cleaned up from Christmas Day, we start to think about our New Years resolutions for 2013. It is also the time of the year where we prepare our calendars for the new year. This is a great time to add home maintenance reminders to our to do lists. Here are some ideas for maintenance reminders for 2013:
– Schedule testing and battery replacement in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors every six months. Keeping them in good working condition can be paramount to your families safety in case of emergency.
– Set reminders to change HVAC filters on a monthly basis unless instructed otherwise by a licensed HVAC professional or equipment manufacturer. Remember, changing HVAC filters regularly can help prolong the life of your systems.
– Set a reminder to clean your outside dryer vent at least every six months to prevent lint fires.
– It is always a good idea to have your HVAC system checked by a licensed HVAC professional before running the AC in the spring or the heat in the fall.
– Since our soil is mainly clay in the Houston area, our homes tend to shift and settle as the clay expands and contracts. It is a good idea to walk around the perimeter of your home looking for new gaps in siding or cracks in mortar. Make notes of the gaps and/or cracks and monitor the throughout the year to see if the close or grow.
– In order to keep your lawn equipment in good operating condition, it’s a good idea to change the oil, filter and spark plugs every spring. This is also a good time to sharpen or replace mower and edger blades.
Even a little maintenance goes a long way in making sure that your home is safe for you and your family. As always, we at IPIS, PLLC will continue to bring you current information on how to keep your home safe. Please feel free to contact us at anytime for any home inspection services that you have. We look forward to hearing from you!